Monday, January 2, 2012

The General Direction of This Blog - Addendum

As mentioned in the first post, this blog is really just my own personal musings on information security, data analysis, and devolving into a hodgepodge of game theory, current events, personal rants and pretty much any other damn thing I want. But I figured I might say a few more words about where this blog will be going over the next few months and beyond. Just so that people are not disappointed with something I post as "not in line with the theme" or anything. So this post will just be a little bit meta and help to point out what I hope to do here.
So again, this is just my own little slice of what interests me when it comes to modern data security and analysis, but also (hopefully) with some useful bits of wisdom, pointers to cool tools, and other things that some may find useful or helpful. So there will be a mixture of things both for the "beginner" or layperson, as well as (again, I hope) things that even some seasoned professionals will find interesting or useful. So for instance, the first real post, about passwords and password security was really aimed at end users, not security pros. Everything I said there should be obvious and even remedial for true professionals. But at the same time, passwords are probably the weakest part of many defenses (whether its a corporate database or your home wifi router) and also the first, fastest and easiest place to make significant improvement to your overall posture. So it seemed like a good first post, if not the kind of advanced topics that I would ultimately like to discuss.
I hope to have some things to say that might interest the professional as well as things that might help Grandma have a better and more secure computing experience. This might seem like a tall order, and I suppose if it is just too wide a swath, I might revisit that. But ultimately I will talk about the things that interest me the most. So I will have a fair number of posts that are just pointers to other great articles or tools I run across, but I also want to include some more theoretical discussions of things that may or may not be directly applicable to the daily life of anyone. Things that interest me like game theory and strategy, future directions of security and technology in general, implications, for individuals as well as society as a whole, and just quirky observations and musings. I know that I have lots to say, and a lot of this is just about getting off my ass and saying them. They won't necessarily always be well formed or right (although I strive not to be outright wrong about things), and they may even draw ire from those who would tend to be purists about things. Above all, I have become much more of a pragmatist about things (all things really) and have tried to keep in mind the mantra of "perfect as the enemy of good enough." At the same time, "good enough" in the sense of just getting by has also always rubbed me the wrong way. Yes, I can be a conflicted person at times. But for crying out loud, "awesomeness" is right there in the blog's tagline (and I don't give a shit that it isn't a word, it is staying), so I want to tend toward things that are, well.. Awesome. I might have more to say about all this as I go along.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment